Tomato, Chia and Chilli Relish
I’ve previously made a jam with chia seeds, so this is a savoury alternative in a form of a relish. You can’t call a savoury jam a jam surely? Relish it is then! As with the jam, the chia seeds are great for thickening the relish. It is great on crackers, spread on bread (gluten free, natch) and I even spread some on some grilled aubergines. I went a little crazy for a week and spread it on anything that was either cooked or flat! I loved it on some chia crackers…that was chia seed overload that day!
I added chilli to this simply because I wanted a bit of lift to the flavour. You can omit this if you wish. I am now wondering whether you could make the same sort of relish but with onion instead of tomatoes. That might be my next batch. I used a dash of stevia for the sweetener but you could use the one of your choice, increasing the volume according to taste. Store in the refrigerator. It should last about a week.
4 tblspn chia seeds
5 tomatoes, cut into small chunks
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 tspn stevia (or sweetener of your choice)
1 tspn dried chilli flakes
- Place all the ingredients, except the chia seeds, into a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for an hour. Remove the lid and simmer for a further 20 minutes
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chia seeds.
- Taste and adjust the stevia/sweetener if necessary.
- Let cool, then place in a screw top jar.
- Eat and enjoy!