Brussel sprouts to me are normally something that is served to me during the festive season, and usually either boiled to an inch of it’s life or hard enough to chip a tooth. This is a nicer way of eating them and is a great side dish. Want to trick your family and friends into eating brussel sprouts…then serve this! It’s creamy, full of flavour and far nicer than a plain serving of sprouts!
I use gluten free breadcrumbs for the topping. The pine nuts give it a nice crunch and added flavour. You could try this with other nuts, pecan might be a nice alternative. Anyone who thinks they “hate” brussel sprouts may be persuaded by this dish. I sprinkle sage in all of the layers to give it extra seasoning, but this is just a matter of taste. To help with the panic of cooking during the festive season, this dish can be assembled the day before. Just keep the topping separate, then put together on the day of cooking.
500g brussel sprouts, trimmed and cut into quarters
1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
2 cups double cream
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 tblspn butter
2 tblspn chopped sage (you can use dried if fresh is not available)
1 1/2 tblspn olive oil
1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
3 cups grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter and gently cook the onion until golden.
- Add the cream and1 tblspn sage and boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly butter a glass baking dish.
- Place half of sprouts and cauliflower florets in the dish.
- Season with salt and pepper (I also used sage here, but that’s my choice and up to you).
- Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups Parmesan over the vegetables.
- Place the remaining vegetables in the dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over them.
- Pour the cream mixture over the vegetables.
- Cover the vegetables in the baking with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- In a frying pan, heat up the olive oil and add the breadcrumbs. Stir until brown.
- Remove from the heat and add the pinenuts and remaining sage. Mix well.
- When the vegetables have cooked for 45 minutes, remove the foil and add the breadcrumb and nut mixture.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!