A Semifreddo is a semi frozen dessert that has the texture of frozen mousse. It is almost a smooth block of frozen cream. Or some may say an ice-cream cake. The taste of the lime really lifts this and it is a great summer dessert! I liked the combination of the pistachio nuts too.
Instead of sugar, I used my favourite sugar substitute, erythritol to keep it low carb. For the spare egg whites…make an egg white omlette! Add some spinach and tomatoes and yum! Nothing should go to waste in your kitchen!
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup erythritol (or other sugar substitute)
1 3/4 cups double/thick cream, whipped
2/3 cup pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
Juice and zest of 1 lime
200g fresh or frozen raspberries
- Grease a 6cm-deep, 19cm x 9cm (base) loaf pan. Line with baking paper, allowing a 5cm overhang on both long ends.
- Place eggs, egg yolks and erythritol in a heatproof bowl. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water over low heat .
- Whisk for 4 to 5 minutes or until thick and creamy. Remove from heat. Whisk for 4 to 5 minutes or until cool.
- ransfer mixture to a large bowl. Gently fold in cream, pistachio, lime juice and zest and the raspberries.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Cover and freeze overnight or until firm.
- Stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before turning out onto a plate.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Serves about 6 -8 hungry people!