A stuffed eggplant dish that is served cold but you could have warm. I prefer it cold as it allows for the flavours to develop.
This is loosely based upon a traditional Turkish recipe called Imam Bayildi, which translated means “the Imam fainted” (the Imam is an Islamic religious leader). It was called this because the Imam found the recipe so delicious he fainted. I have yet to faint at a dish so delicious but a few times have made lots of happy noises and growled at anyone trying to take the last piece!
This is a perfect starter or great as a main with a side salad. A great dish to prepare ahead as it is served cold and great for the packed lunch box too!
I just adore Turkish food and have many happy memories of eating in Istanbul. I was so lucky to visit there a lot when I was working in Dubai. I just loved the country, the people and the food! Their fresh produce is just so succulent and tasty! The cherries, the tomatoes, and oh, the feta cheese…….mmmmmmm!
- 2 eggplants
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 tspn ground allspice
- 3 tblspn fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1/4 tspn pepper
- 3 tblspn olive oil
- Halve the aubergine (eggplant) lengthwise and scoop out the flesh, leaving a shell so that they are firm enough to fill. Chop the flesh into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat and add the onions and garlic. Cook gently for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Peel and chop the tomatoes. I used a sharp small knife to peel the tomatoes, but you could blanch them in hot water and remove the skins this way too.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, aubergine (eggplant), parsley, allspice, salt and pepper to the onions. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150C/300F degrees.
- Spoon the mixture into the aubergine halves and place in a shallow ovenproof dish. Cover with silver foil.
- Cook for about 1 hour.
- Cool for at least 2 hours. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Nutritional Info per serving - 187 Calories, 11g Fat, 3g Protein, 23g Total Carbs, 7g Fibre, 16g Net Carbs