I had a baked camembert last December and loved the gooey, cheesy gorgeousness of it. However, despite the hot, oozy cheese I felt that it lacked a little something. So I had a play and added ground nuts with some low carb/gluten free bread crumbs to it..and…voila! Now, this was a cooked cheese that we growled over like a pack of hungry dogs…it is truly delicious with crudities and toasted pieces of almond bread…well, I could eat it by itself in all honesty! There are no photos of it cut as it was so gooey and I wanted to dive it..so use your imagination or try it yourself to see it in all it’s hot action!
I used walnuts but you could use any other nuts…nuts just go so well with cheese! I just blitzed the nuts in a food processor and voila! This makes a wonderful starter or a great supper dish! I used breadcrumbs from one of my low carb/gluten free breads too. You could do mini cheeses with this too and have it with a salad. Hey, who I am kidding, bake it and eat it whole, I won’t judge you…..I’ve probably done it myself! 😉
1 whole camembert
1/4 cup walnuts, ground
1/4 cup low carb/gluten free breadcrumbs
1 egg beaten
2-3 tblpns dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the nuts, breadcrumbs and herbs in a shallow bowl
- Dip the camembert into the beaten egg, then into the nut mixture, ensuring that the cheese is thoroughly coated.
- Place the cheese onto a greaseproof lined baking tray and bake for about 10-15 minutes
- Eat, fight over it and enjoy!