A healthy muffin made with flaxseed and flavoured with the great flavour combination of apple and cinnamon.
Flaxseeds are just so good for you and I keep trying to find different ways to cook with them to make them a regular part of my diet. So a muffin seems as good as any other way to start! The apple keeps the muffin moist and the spices give it a great flavour. I did find that the taste improved the next day though but that might just be my tastebuds rather than the muffin itself.
You could add walnuts to this too which would give a lovely texture and taste. Or perhaps a mashed banana instead of the apple? Either way, it’s a way to make you eat some flax seed!
1 cup flax seed, ground
1/4 cup almond flour
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup oil (I used coconut but any oil would be fine)
2 tspn baking powder
2 medium apples, grated
1 tblspn cinnamon
1 tspn nutmeg
1/2 tspn salt
1/4 cup sugar substitute
1 tspn vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients together well.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients and the apple and combine well.
- Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes (the flax seed will swell with the moisture).
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture into muffin cups, filling up just underneath the top.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
Makes 8 Muffins
Nutritional Info per muffin – 192 Calories, 14g Fat, 7g Protein, 11g Total Carbs, 5g Fibre, 6g Net Carbs