Breakfast/ Brunch/ Gluten Free/ Low Carb/ Paleo/ Vegetarian

Cauliflower Hash Browns

cauliflower-hash-browns

This is a delicious low carb alternative to potatoes using the wonderful cauliflower yet again!  I cooked these for breakfast and the only complaint that I got was that there was not enough.  I added cheese to my hash browns but you could alway omit this to keep it Vegan or Dairy Free.   I used Cheddar Cheese, but you could use mozzarella or Parmesan too.

This would be a great way to use any left over cauliflower rice that you may have too!  You could add other spices, herbs or chopped peppers too!  Go crazy and experiment with this!

Cauliflower Hash Browns

• Servings: 1-2
  • Difficulty: easy

2 cups cauliflower, grated

1/2 onion finely chopped

3/4 cup grated Cheddar Cheese (or mozzarella or Parmesan)

1 tspn garlic powder

salt and white pepper

3 tblspns olive oil

• Cook the grated cauliflower in the microwave for about 3 minutes until tender and there is no water in it (or if you have some leftover cooked cauliflower rice you can omit this bit).
  • Add the onion, cheese and garlic powder and stir well.  Season to taste.
  • Using your hands, form little patties.
  • Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat.
  • Place the patties in the pan and gently press down with a spatula to flatten.
  • Cook on each side until golden.

Makes 4 Hashbrowns

Nutrition: Per Hashbrown: 195 Calories; 17g Fat; 7g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carb

If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss a recipe!

Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun!

It's only fair to share...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Share on Yummly0Pin on Pinterest4.3k

Shopping Savings

Marguerite
    January 17, 2016 at 6:35 pm

I made these with leftover cauli rice. Added an egg; and used mozarella cheese. But the patties didn’t hold together in the pan. Tasted good anyway!

Angela Coleby
      January 18, 2016 at 9:26 am

As long as they tasted good! Thanks for popping by!

Eddie S
    June 5, 2015 at 9:45 am

I have tried to make them twice now (first frying and then baking) and had trouble keeping them together both times. This is a shame because they smell so good, and taste good as well. Unfortunately my cheese doesn’t seem to be holding the other ingredients together well enough, so I seem to need something extra to help with the binding. Thoughts anyone?

June 5, 2015 at 9:47 am

Ground chia seeds?

Ashley
      October 10, 2016 at 9:45 am

Regular cauli-hashbrowns are made with one egg as a binder. That’s how I make mine and I use the frozen geared organic cauliflower from whole foods.

Angela Coleby
        October 11, 2016 at 7:00 am

Yum

Vasthy
    March 21, 2014 at 12:00 pm

So good!!! Just made them! I added a little bit of almond meal, cayenne pepper and some chopped pancetta. So good!

March 24, 2014 at 9:36 am

What a great idea! Glad you enjoyed them!

Jess
    August 9, 2012 at 10:37 am

Have just tried these, the taste is very good!! I have trouble keeping the shape when they are in the pan so I just pan fry all the cauliflower mixture till they look slightly golden and place them on a plate, then I press and shape them into a big block of harsh brown. They did stick together a little when they cool down. I will definitely try it again (the big block method) and place a fried egg on top to make it a meal. Thanks for the recipe! 🙂

August 10, 2012 at 8:55 am

Delighted you enjoy these Jess! And loving your creativity with keeping the shape! What a fabulous idea!!

Anu
    August 6, 2012 at 10:35 am

Do you think they’ll keep their shape while frying, without the cheese. Would an egg or some other binder (chickpea flour ) be necessary

August 6, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I would use another binder to keep a shape. Unless you squeeze every drop of moisture and keep them in the fridge for about an hour to firm up.

HJ
    July 20, 2012 at 12:49 am

These sound easy and delicious! Have you ever tried them baked?

July 20, 2012 at 8:08 pm

No, but I cannot see why they could not be baked. Might take a bit longer though but still taste as yummy!