Courgette and Halloumi Balls
These are utterly delicious and gorgeous! Gorgeous I tell you! They were much better than I had thought they would be and as ever, easy to make and easier to eat! The herbs really give the courgette balls a great flavour and could be served simply as a side dish with no sauce. I use coconut flour to help bind the balls because it acts like a piece of kitchen roll and soaks up any moisture, but another low carb flour such as almond flour could be used instead.
I served mine with a marinara sauce but they would be lovely just by themselves, or with a lemon butter over them. They could be a tasty starter or a lovely lunch with a side salad. Or a snack when you creep down to the refrigerator late at night….. 😉
2-3 courgettes (zucchini)
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
100g Halloumi cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
2 tblspns fresh mint, finely chopped
2 tblspns fresh parsely, finely chopped
1 tblspn thyme, finely chopped
1 lemon, finely grated
2-3 tblspns coconut flour
salt and pepper
3 tblspns olive oil
- Grate the courgettes (zucchini) and place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out all of the water from the grated courgettes and place in a bowl.
- Add the herbs, halloumi, garlic, egg and lemon zest and mix well. Season to taste.
- Add the coconut flour and if the mixture is not firm enough, add some more!
- Roll the mixture into small balls and chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the balls and keep turning them until golden brown on all sides.
- Eat and enjoy!
- 30 Low Carb & Gluten Free Superbowl Snacks – Divalicious Recipes – Healthy, Low Carb & Gluten Free - […] Zucchini & Halloumi Balls […]