Cakes/ Gluten Free/ Low Carb

Strawberries & Cream Victoria Sponge Cake

This is a great low carb and gluten free alternative to the Victoria sponge cake and is just so easy to make.

sponge cake

Traditionally, a Victoria Sponge cake has a filling of strawberry jam and cream, but I thought fresh strawberries would be a healthier alternative to jam…and nicer.

Since the Jubilee celebrations are coming up soon in Britain, I thought I should make something “British/afternoon tea’ish” and what could be more British than a sponge cake with strawberries and cream?   Well, a cup of tea and a packet of cigarettes is the other alternative but that does not quite fit into the theme of my blog…..

You could play around with the fillings, just use this recipe as a cake basis for when you just want a plain sponge cake.  A great afternoon tea cake!  Or breakfast…or supper…

1 cup soft butter
2 tblspns erythritol (or other sugar substitute)
5 eggs
2 cups almond flour
1 tspn baking powder
1 tblspn lemon juice
1 tspn vanilla extract
1/2 cup double/whipping cream
1 punnet strawberries

sponge cake

• Preheat the oven to 170C/350F degrees.
  • Grease and line two 8 inch baking pans with  grease proof paper.
  • Mix all of the ingredients, except for the cream and strawberries, in a food processor and blend well.
  • Spoon the mixture into the two cake tins and smooth out.
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes until firm and golden.
  • Remove from the oven and cool for five minutes then remove from the tin.
  • Once the sponges are cool, slather one of the sponges with cream and sliced strawberries.  Place the other sponge on top and repeat the slathering of cream or strawberries.
sponge cake

Another slice? Don’t mind if I do….

Serves 4-8 slices

Nutrition: Per slice (based on 8 slices): 420 Calories; 41g Fat; 9g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carb

Low carb victoria sponge
It's only fair to share...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on Tumblr0Share on Yummly0Pin on Pinterest92

Jennifer Zenteno
    April 14, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Does it really need that much butter?

April 14, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Yes it does, it sounds a lot, but it works. Feel free to have a play and reduce it. Let me know if it works! Happy Baking!

mariska
    March 23, 2015 at 9:38 am

looks sammie! can you tell me how much carbs are in it?

April 8, 2015 at 3:44 pm

5g net carb a slice. I’ve updated the recipe with the nutritional detail. Happy baking!

Robbin M.
    September 3, 2012 at 1:35 am

So, I must tell you – I halved your recipe (used 3 eggs, though) and put the batter into 4 ramekins to bake as Mini sponge cakes. I made a fruit compote with wine and honey and topped the cakes with that and some vanilla ice cream for dessert tonight. YUM! Thanks for a great recipe.

September 3, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Robbin, that sounds delicious and such a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Jane Humphreys
    July 10, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Made this at the weekend. It was delicious

libby anderson
    June 28, 2012 at 7:18 am

I failed miserably with this recipe. Didn’t turn out anything like yours. It didn’t rise as much, one half fell to pieces when I turned it out on the cake rack and it was very buttery! It’s in the freezer until I figure out what to do with it other than throw it in the bin.

June 28, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Oh no Libby…I am wondering if the oven settings may be different as I tend to find that the heat from various ovens can vary despite what the dials say. Perhaps I will try this again as my first attempt was fine..will let you know if I find anything different. What about using your remains as a trifle?

libby anderson
        June 29, 2012 at 7:55 am

Maybe the oven too hot. I don’t think I will try it again though as I found it too buttery. Would be interested to know if anyone else has tried and tested.

Anne
      August 30, 2014 at 1:12 am

Trifle!
      I cut mine into thick fingers, spread it with sugar-free passionfruit curd, poured over some (sugar-free) lemon custard and piled whipped cream on top.
      Sublime

August 31, 2014 at 9:15 am

Hi Anne! That sounds just wonderful! What a fabulous idea!