This makes a great alternative to stuffed mushrooms and is a lovely starter. I purchased artichoke bottoms from a supermarket in a tin and got about 4 large ones. You may be able to buy these from the deli counter too. You could stuff them with your filling of choice…use the same ingredients as you would a mushroom!
1 tin artichoke bottoms, drained
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
100g fresh spinach
50g grated Cheddar Cheese
50g grated mozzarella Cheese
1 tspn grated nutmeg
salt and pepper
1 tblspn olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 165C/325F degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Removed from the pan.
- Add the Cheddar Cheese and season.
- Place the artichoke bottoms in a baking dish.
- Spoon the mixture into the artichoke bottoms, and then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the mozzarella has melted.
- Eat and enjoy!