This is a thick, Wintery, comfort soup full of flavour. I love my red pepper soup and this feels like the new and improved version with the addition of aubergine (eggplant). Low in carbs, gluten free and full of taste. The perfect supper dish for this cold evenings!
2 large red peppers
1 large aubergine (eggplant)
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tspn grated lemon zest
1 tspn thyme
1 tspn oregano
400g can chopped tomatoes
750ml vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
3 tblspn olive oil
- Quarter, core and deseed the red pepper. Brush with a little olive oil and grill, skin side up for 3-4 minutes each side until charred and tender. Transfer to a plastic bag, cool and remove the charred skins.
- Thinly slice the aubergine (eggplant) lengthwise, brush with olive oil and grill for 4-5 minutes until golden.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, garlic, lemon zest, thyme and oregano and cook for 10 minutes until browned.
- Add the peppers, aubergine (eggplant), tomatoes, stock and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bayleaf and blend the soup in a blender/food processor. Season to taste.
- Serve, slurp and enjoy!