This pizza base is made out of almond butter and gives a thick, bread like pizza base. This is not for fans of the thin crust pizza, but for those who like their deep pan pizzas.
It was made to keep the Chief Taster happy, as he likes his deep pan pizzas. It looks like a wholemeal pizza base too. I sneaked some flax seed and coconut flour into the base too which probably accounts for the wholemeal like taste. Making the pizza base out of almond butter ensures that it is Gluten Free and fairly low in carbs too!
Almond butter is simple to make too, just whizz up a bag of almonds in your food processor until they grind into a butter. Or buy a jar of the stuff if you wish (I prefer to make my own). You could make this without the flaxseed and coconut flour too. I added it to give it extra body to the pizza base.
1/2 cup almond butter
1 tblspn flax seed, ground
1 tblspn coconut flour
1/4 tspn salt
1/4 tspn baking soda
Pizza toppings of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the almond butter with the eggs and blend well.
- Add the coconut flour, flax seed, salt and baking soda.
- Line a spring form cake tin with parchment paper.
- Spoon the almond butter mixture into the cake tin and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the oven and heat the grill.
- Place your preferred pizza toppings over the base and place until the grill. Cook until the cheese has melted.
- Cut into chunky pieces, eat and enjoy!