An eggplant frittata recipe that can often be found in the Middle East.
This frittata has the aubergine (eggplant) mashed up rather than in slices within the frittata. I used thyme in this dish but you could use another herb if you wished. I also baked this frittata as I am starting to bake a few of my frittatas. It’s much easier, just throw it all in a dish and leave for 20 minutes or so.
2 aubergines (eggplants)
2 large onions, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tblspn thyme
1 tblspn olive oil
salt and pepper
- Peel the aubergines (eggplants) and cut into slices. Place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 mins. Rinse off with cold water and pat dry.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the aubergine (eggplant) until golden on both slices.
- Remove and mash with a fork.
- Add the onions and garlic in the frying pan and cook for 5 – 7 minutes, until soft and slightly golden. Add to the aubergine (eggplant) mixture.
- Beat the eggs and add the thyme. Season to taste.
- Add the aubergine (eggplant) mixture to the eggs and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes until firm.
- Eat and enjoy!