Using the same filling mixture I made little mini rolls and a couple of mini pies. It was just different ways of using the gluten free pastry and spinach filling.
The filling is simple, but very delicious. These are lovely warm, straight out of the oven and equally yummy cold.
250g frozen spinach, defrosted
1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
100g Feta cheese
1/2 tspn grated nutmeg
1 egg, beaten, for brushing
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup Bobs Red All Purpose Gluten Free flour
3/4 cup Bobs Red Sorghum flour
1 tblspn cold water
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Put the butter and salt in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the egg, almond meal, all purpose flour and mix until smooth.
- Add the sorghum flour and pulse until the mixture forms into a ball.
- Take the mixture out of the blender and place onto a piece of waxed paper. Shape into a ball and place in the refrigerator for an hour until firm.
- Fry the garlic for 2 minutes and stir in the spinach and cook until warm through. Season with nutmeg.
- Add the feta cheese and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Roll the dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper (if yours is not as sticky as mine was!). You can press the mixture directly into the pastry case for the mini pies.
- For the mini rolls, roll out the pastry into a long strip. Place the filling down the edge of the pastry, brush the edges with the beaten egg and roll up. Glaze with the egg, and cut into small rolls.
- For the mini pies, place the pastry into a mini pie dish. Add the filling and then place a rolled out pastry lid on top. Brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown.
- Eat and enjoy!