One part of the Christmas tradition that I miss is sausage rolls (well, vegetarian versions for me). I miss puff pastry but hey, that was the dark side and I’ve moved into a healthier light…These rolls almost compensate as they are cheesey and savoury. The pastry is like a rich, shortcrust pastry, but hey it’s Gluten Free so tuck in!
I used breadcrumbs from my home made heathly gluten free bread, but I believe you can buy these from the Organic shop. The savoury and cheesy taste is a festive flavour for me….probably because I would be face down in the cheese board and munching on savoury crisps….to add pastry is the perfect marriage for me…I have been using pastry made with the all purpose gluten free flour for a change from my usual coconut flour and almond flour. I roll this pastry directly onto parchment pastry…gluten free pastry is not as pliable as one would wish..so you need to work around it. Still tastes nice though and that’s the main thing!
150g all purpose gluten free flour
1 tbspn cayenne pepper
1 egg yolk
2 tbspn cold water
1 tsbpn olive oil
pinch of salt
100g gluten free breadcrumbs
100g Double Gloucester Cheese (or Cheddar would do)
1 small leek, finely chopped
1 tspn mustard powder
3 egg yolks
salt and pepper
- Make the pastry by putting the flours, butter and cayenne pepper in a food processor. Blitz until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk, olive oil and water until the mixture binds together as a ball of pastry.
- Divide the mixture into two and roll out directly onto parchment paper in a rectangle shape of 12 x 30 cm (or the nearest you can roll out!)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Mix the filling ingredients but only use 2 yolks. The other is for glazing. Blitz away in the food processor.
- Divide into two and make sausage shapes with them. Lay them down on the pastry.
- Brush the pastry edges with the last egg yolk and using the parchment pastry, roll it up to make the sausage roll shape.
- Cut the rolls into 2cm pieces and brush with the remaining egg yolk.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Eat and enjoy!