Desserts & Cakes/ Gluten Free/ Low Carb/ Vegetarian

Mojito Ice Cream

This is a no churn ice cream recipe but I’ve made it a bit more low carb friendly by using erythritol in place of icing sugar.

It is an easy ice cream to make as it does not involve an ice cream maker and the result is  creamy with a refreshing zing of mint and kick of rum! Yum!

100 ml lime juice

Zest of 2 limes

1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped

3 tblspn white rum

100g powdered erthyritol (I process this in a blender)

500ml double cream

• Pour the lime juice into a bowl and add the erthyritol.  Mix well until blended.
  • Add the rum, mint leaves, cream and lime zest and whip until fairly firm.
  • Spoon into an airtight container and put in the freezer, ideally overnight.
  • Scoop, eat and enjoy!

Angie C
    November 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm

You could always make this with icing sugar instead of erthyritol, if you are not bothered about the carbs, btw.

Heather
    November 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm

ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR!!! Can’t wait to try this. Will need to make a trip to Dubai mall to the organics store JUST for this recipe!

Angie C
      November 28, 2011 at 4:16 pm

They have it in the Organic shop near the Greens too, if that it closer Heather.

Devina Divecha
    November 28, 2011 at 3:29 pm

This is the third food blogger post I’ve read today that has alcohol as an ingredient. It’s a sign 😉

Angie C
      November 28, 2011 at 4:15 pm

ooh – definitely a sign! Pour yourself a large one! 😉

Angie C
    November 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Hi, I buy mine from the Organic shop. It looks like sugar but is a sugar alcohol that has the least imact on blood sugar. It has almost zero carbs, calories and glycemic index. Sugar alcohols are neither sugars nor alcohols as they don’t contain ethanol as alcoholic beverages do. Erythritol occurs naturally in small amounts in some fruits, and in greater amounts in certain mushrooms and other fungi, and in fermented foods such as wine and soy sauce. The form used in foods is generally made by the fermentation of plant sugars. Erythritol isn’t metabolized by oral bacteria, which means that it doesn’t contribute to tooth decay.
    I use it instead of sugar.

I Live in a Frying Pan
    November 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm

hey lady, have I asked this before…maybe I have…but what’s erthyritol? where do I get it in Dubai?