I have been playing around with various Gluten Free shortcrust pastries and made this quiche using a selection of Bob’s Red Gluten Free flours in addition to my usual almonds. This can be frozen too which makes it handy to have ahead of time! I mixed this in a food processor so it was easy to make, easy to eat!
I found the dough quite sticky to deal with and suggest that you roll it out in between pieces of waxed paper. Other than that, it is very much like the real thing!
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup Bobs Red All Purpose Gluten Free flour
3/4 cup Bobs Red Sorghum flour
1 tblspn cold water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bunch small baby leeks
100g cheddar cheese
1/4 cup creme fraiche
salt and pepper
- Put the butter and salt in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the egg, almond meal, all purpose flour and mix until smooth.
- Add the sorghum flour and pulse until the mixture forms into a ball.
- Take the mixture out of the blender and place onto a piece of waxed paper. Shape into a ball and place in the refrigerator for an hour until firm.
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Roll the dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper (if yours is not as sticky as mine was!). You can press the mixture directly into the pastry case.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown.
- Reduce the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Cook the leeks in boiling water and simmer until slightly soft.
- Beat the eggs, add the creme fraiche and cheddar cheese. Season to taste.
- Place the leeks in the patry case and pour over the egg and cheese mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly set.
- Eat and enjoy!