This is my 200th post! To celebrate this I am posting one of my favourite recipes. This is just delicious warm and is gorgeous cold too and is my idea of perfect comfort food. I actually prefer this cold with a salad…it seems better cold or at room temperature. The aubergines are fried first in almond flour to keep it gluten free too! I also make this with courgettes (zucchini) but that will be another post! I sometimes use different cheese, the goats cheese gives it a nice flavour here, but this dish is equally as nice with Cheddar Cheese. Cheesy, tomato and aubergine…yum!
2 aubergines (eggplants)
1 tspn salt
2 cups almond flour
1 egg (beaten)
1/4 cup olive oil (you may need more for frying)
1 tspn oregano, dried
1 serving of tomato sauce
2 cups goats cheese, crumbled or cut into slices
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Peel the skins from the aubergine (eggplant) and slice lengthways. Sprinkle them with 1/2 of the salt and sit in a colander for about 15 minutes to draw out the bitter juices.
- Wash the slices and pat dry with kitchen towl.
- Combine the almond flour, 1/2 of the salt and the oregano in a bowl.
- Dip the aubergine (eggplant) slices into the beaten egg, then into the almond flour mix.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Gently fry the aubergine (eggplant) on both sides until golden brown. Repeat for all slices.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- In a baking dish, put a layer of tomato sauce on the bottom, then place a layer of aubergine (eggplant) slices on top.
- Add a layer of goats cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat all the layers until you are left with a final layer of cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!