I have started to try cooking with all purpose Gluten Free flour as a change from my usual almonds and coconut flour. The taste results are pretty much like regular pastry made with white flour and I suspect that I could fool a lot of non Gluten Free eaters.However, handling it is a bit more fiddly as it tends to break up so you need to be very gentle with it. I made the dough in a food processor but you could also make this recipe by hand if you so wished. I brought my Gluten free flour from the Organic store but also noticed it in Geant (for the Dubai readers). I do love a quiche and now shall start playing with various fillings!
225g Gluten Free flour
1 onion, chopped
1 tblspn oil
1/4 cup creme fraiche
100g goats cheese (cut/crumbled into pieces)
1/2 tspn grated nutmeg
salt and pepper
1 egg for glazing the pastry
- Put the flour and a pinch of salt in a food processor and add the butter. Blitz gently until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and about 1-2 tablespoon of cold water to form a soft dough.
- Remove the dough, wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Knead the pastry and roll it out to line a 20cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Brush the base and sides with egg.
- Put the flan tin on a baking sheet and bake the pastry blind for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Reduce the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Make the filling by frying the onion in the oil until just soft, add the spinach and cook until just wilted. Season with nutmeg
- Beat the eggs and creme fraiche and stir in the spinach mixture and goat’s cheese. Season to taste
- Pour the filling into the pastry case and bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly set.
- Eat and enjoy!