If in doubt, deep fry the veggies!
The supermarket has recently had a deliverly of big, fat, juicy asparagus. So instead of roasting, bbq’ing or roasting them I decided to deep fry them in a light batter as if they were fries. I served them with lemon mayonnaise (just added the juice of 1 lemon to the basic mayonnaise recipe).
I used a mixture of coconut and almond flour to coat them , but also tried a couple that had only been dipped in egg white and these were equally nice. So, if you didn’t fancy the slight nutty taste that the flour gives them, just dip them in beaten egg white and fry…yummy!
2 large bunches of asparagus
2 egg whites
1 tblspn coconut flour
3 tblspn almond flour
salt and pepper
Mayonnaise to serve
- Trim the hard ends of the asparagus.
- Whisk up the egg whites until stiff.
- Mix the flours together.
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan/wok/deep fat fryer.
- Dip the asparagus into the egg white, then into the flours.
- Fry in the oil until the batter/flour is golden brown (about 5 minutes).
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, serve immediately with the lemon mayonnaise.
- Eat and enjoy!