This pumpkin soup has a rich texture and a warm spicey flavour. It is so easy to make and easier to eat! The pumpkin gives the soup a slight sweet flavour complimented by the nutmeg….it is simply delicious.
2 medium onions, peeled, finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
freshly grated nutmeg
salt and pepper
750ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Cut the skin off the pumpkin and remove the seeds and fibres. Roughly chop the flesh.
- Melt the butter in a large pan with a lid over a low heat and add the onions. Cook the onions gently for 10-15 minutes, until they are softened and golden-brown.
- Add the pumpkin flesh, the cinnamon and nutmeg, and season. Increase the heat to medium and cover with the lid. Cook for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the base from
burning, until the pumpkin is cooked through.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Transfer the soup to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan and bring to a low simmer and cook for a further half an hour.
- Slurp and enjoy!