This is a very spicy curry with the smooth, sweet taste of coconut milk. It does not look tempting but trust me, if you like a coconut curry, this is a dish for you!
1-2 aubergines (eggplants), quartered lengthways, then halved
3 large red chillis, deseeded and chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
Medium piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
2 lemongrass stalks, trimmed or chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tsbpn ground tumeric
1 tspn chilli powder
1 tblspn coconut oil (or olive oil)
400ml can coconut milk
small bunch coriander (cilantro), chopped to serve
- Put the chillies, garlic, ginger and lemongrass in a food processor. Mix to a coarse paste.
- Mix the tumeric and chilli powder together and rub it over the aubergine wedges.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan, then brown the aubergines (eggplants). Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the paste, and onion for a few minutes. Add the aubergines (eggplants) to the pan. Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook gently until the aubergine (eggplant) is tender, but not mushy for about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste, serve with the coriander over the top.
- Eat and enjoy!