I am always roasting red peppers and thought I would cook with yellow peppers for a change. This soup has a deep flavour and the basil cream blends well and gives it an extra lift. Don’t be alarmed by the amount of garlic, once roasted the garlic is smoother and softer in taste.
3 large whole heads of garlic
2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
5 large yellow peppers, halfed and deseeded
2 large sweet onions cut into quarters
Salt and Pepper
Basil Cream Ingredients
3/4 cup basil leaves
1/4 cup greek yoghurt
salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 200c/400F degrees.
- Cut about 1/2 an inch off the tops of the garlic and drizzle with olive
- Put the peppers, onions and garlic in a roasting tin and roast for about 45 minutes. The pepper skins should be black and the garlic should be tender.
- Place the peppers into a plastic bag and cool. This makes the skins easier to remove.
- Remove the skins from peppers. Squeeze the garlic flesh from skins
- In food processor or blender, puree the peppers, onions and garlic unti smooth. Add the stock.
- Pour into a saucepan and simmer over a low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a blender, add the basil and greek yoghurt. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup in bowls and add the basil cream.
- Slurp, eat and enjoy!