Everytime I make a salad I think of Homer Simpson singing “You don’t make friends with salad”. However with this one you could make friends and influence people… This is a fabulous Delia recipe and now one of my favourites. The combination of these three ingredients and how they compliment each other is just gorgeous – the sweet onion, the tang of the rocket and the bite of the Parmesan cheese. This is a straight to top five favourite salads for me! It looks pretty and tastes divine! I cooked this on a griddle pan but you could also grill the onions.
4 large Spanish onions
25g rocket leaves
6 tblspns extra virgin olive oil
75 Parmesan cheese, shaved into thin slices
Juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
- Preheat the griddle pan (or grill)
- Cut the tops and bottoms off the onions, but keeping on the skin. Cut each onion into 4 slices.
- Brush the slices with olive oil and season with the salt and pepper. Place until the griddle pan or grill and cook until golden on one side. Turn over the slice, brush with oil and season. Cook until golden.
- Remove from the griddle pan or grill and cool. Discard the skin and any parts that are too blackened to eat.
- Separate the onion into rings.
- Put a quarter of the onion rings in a layer on a dish and build up the salad in layers of the onion, rocket leaves and shavings of Parmesan, seasoning each layer with salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Serve at room temperature, eat and enjoy!