This is a fresh tomato salad and is perfect for summers day. Or most days in Dubai! Make sure the tomatoes are ripe and flavourful. There is something about a bright, colourful plate of food that is so appealing to me. And this is a great side dish for a bbq too!
2 tspn small capers
2 large ripe Beef tomatoes
3 ripe Plum tomatoes
125g red or yellow cherry tomatoes
40g black olives, ideally stoned
4 tblspn extra virgin olive oil
2 tbslpn lemon juice
1 tspn Dijon mustard (I use wholegrain but regular is okay too)
1/4 tspn thin honey
salt and pepper
handful of basil leaves
- Thinly slice the Beef tomatoes and arrange in overlapping slices on a large plate. Slice the plum tomatoes lengthwise and arrange on top. Halve the cherry tomatoes and place in the centre of the plate.
- Scatter the olives and capers over the tomatoes.
- Mix the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, Dijon mustard and honey in a bowl. Season.
- Drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes. Cover and leave to stand for 30 minutes for the flavours to infuse.
- Scatter the basil leaves over the dish.
- Eat and enjoy!