Gluten Free/ Low Carb/ Vegetarian

Gnocchi (with coconut flour)

This is a lovely low carb version of Gnocchi made with coconut flour.   They are yummy with a tomato sauce, but you could have them with melted butter and fresh herbs too.   When cooking them in water, they sink then float, just like the original recipe.

However, the floating to the surface does not mean that they are cooked like the potato version.  They  take about 3-4 minutes to cook.

Gnocchi with coconut flour

• Servings: 1-2
  • Difficulty: medium

3 eggs, beaten

4 tblspns coconut flour

4 tblspns Parmesan cheese, grated

1 tspn garlic powder

1/4 tspn salt

• Mix the coconut flour and beaten eggs well.

unnamed unnamed (1)

• Add the Parmesan, garlic powder and salt and mix well into a dough.

unnamed (2) unnamed (4)

• Place the dough on a sheet of clingfilm and roll into a long sausage shape.

unnamed (5)

• Wrap up with the clingfilm and place in the refrigerator.  Chill the dough for a minimum of 30 minutes.
  • Bring a saucepan of water to the boil.
  • Remove the Gnocchi dough from the refrigerator and cut into small bite sized pieces.

unnamed (6)

• Place the pieces into the boiling water, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 4-5  minutes.  Remove with a slotted spoon.   Repeat until all gnocchi are cooked.

unnamed (7)

• Top with the sauce of your choice.

unnamed (8)

Makes about 8-10 gnocchis.

DSC07835 DSC07837

If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss a recipe!

25 Coconut Flour Recipes - Divalicious Recipes
    September 30, 2017 at 12:40 am

[…] Gnocchi […]

Kelly
    November 7, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Great recipe!, trying to eat more coconut stuff because I know how healthy it is.

Jennifer
    February 24, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I am sure the brand of coconut flour plays a role. I did bake at 350 for about 20 minutes and liked the consistency much better( between a noodle and bread texture.

Jennifer
    February 23, 2016 at 6:55 pm

I tried this recipe twice. First time they fell apart. The second time I put the roll in the freezer for 10 minutes, turned the heat to med low the water was still not boiling. The gnocchi stayed together but the texture was not to my liking. Oven is preheating will post how they turn out. Always fun to try new recipes.

Angela Coleby
      February 23, 2016 at 6:58 pm

I’ve tried this a few times and think the key with this recipes is the type of coconut flour used. I recently tried a version of this adding pumpkin puree which was a disaster but I was not ashamed to post the results on my Facebook page to share! Glad you likes trying something new, even if if didn’t work out!

yvonne
    April 28, 2015 at 4:59 am

ok fell apart in water..saved some and put in to oven for a while..cooked well that way nice flavor.

April 29, 2015 at 8:53 am

Glad they worked out for you! Thanks for popping by!

Skye
    April 7, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Could you use almond flour do you think? :S

April 8, 2015 at 11:34 am

I think it might be a bit too moist for this…perhaps a dash of ground flaxseed or chia seeds to bind it?

Cody
    February 28, 2015 at 1:44 pm

You have any idea what’s in that processed Parmesan cheese? I’ve got news for you, it’s nothing you want in your body. I suggest buying a wedge of parm and grating it or putting it in the food processor yourself. Keep it simple and unprocessed for maximum benefit.

Raquel
    July 30, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I did today! It was OK’ but I had to leave at the refrigerator a bit longer. My coconut flour is different from yours, so I added a bit of almond flour and xantan gum. In the end I really enjoyed it, thank you for sharing this recipe! Regards from Brazil.

gabsodon
    July 15, 2014 at 12:03 am

Hi! I know this is super old but just found it and I’d love to make gnocchi wth coconut flour but can’t have dairy. Would they work without the parmesan? Is there something else that would bind it?

July 15, 2014 at 8:14 am

Hmmm…that’s a tough one…perhaps a nutritional yeast might do? The Parmesan acts as a binding agent and I am not sure if anything else would work?

Sandy Wallace
      October 9, 2014 at 11:38 am

I would like to make these without dairy too. It’s for my son in law. Isn’t egg dairy too? Did you find something to replace Parmesan cheese?

Cody
        February 28, 2015 at 1:52 pm

No, egg is not dairy. Although more and more people are having egg allergies these days which increases the commonality between dairy and eggs.

May 11, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I made these this afternoon and added photos of each stage. Mine were okay so now I am puzzled. Perhaps it is the Parmesan cheese? I don’t use fresh, but the dried variety. I also took the water in the saucepan down from boiling down to a medium heat and cooked them for an extra minute. They still kept their shape. I wish I could pop round and make them with you so I can see what the problem is!

Roi
    May 7, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I thought it was just me or did something wrong, but I had the same problem as Bob.

May 7, 2014 at 7:24 pm

This will keep me up at night now! I will remake these at the weekend and take step by step photos too. If it doesn’t work, the last one will be a picture of me sobbing holding a bottle of wine! 😉

Roi
        May 7, 2014 at 7:47 pm

I even tried different size pieces thinking they were falling apart due to being too small. The larger pieces were harder to cook in the center. Either way, wine makes everything better lol.

May 7, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I’ll get some wine in ahead..! 😉

Bob
    May 6, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Once in the boiling water, the gnoche quickly falls apart. The results of this recipe end up looking more like a pile curds than gnoche. It’s a waste of time and ingredients.

May 7, 2014 at 10:39 am

That’s a shame it’s not worked out for you Bob. I’ve made this a few times and it’s been okay for me. Am now wondering what the problem can be. Different brand of coconut flour?

Roi
    April 26, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Approx how many does recipe make?

April 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm

About 10 pieces. Hope you enjoy them!

Roi
        April 28, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Thank you.

Jaime
    March 6, 2014 at 12:52 am

Do you think these could be used in soup or would they be too delicate?

Thank you.

March 6, 2014 at 8:24 am

Hi, I think as long as you handle them carefully they could be used in soup. What a wonderful idea too! Would be lovely in a tomato or red pepper soup. I will have to try this. Thanks for popping by and hope you enjoy them!