Lasagne is made here with strips of courgettes (zucchini) instead of pasta…keeping this yummy lasagne wannabe dish low in carbs, gluten free and high in taste. This ended up being very morish and is already a repeat dish request from my chief taster (aka the Husband). You could add meat to this if you want but don’t offer me a piece as I will politely decline. Here, I’ve baked the courgette (zucchini) slices in the oven but you could grill/broil/fry them if you want. You can also use different cheeses…this would be lovely with goats cheese..or Cheddar…Be experimental and make the dish your own!
4 – 5 large courgettes (zucchini)
1 batch of tomato sauce
250g ricotta cheese
200g cream cheese
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
2 tspn dried oregano
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
2 tblspn olive oil
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Slice the courgettes lengthways in about 5 mm in width. Keep them nice and thick as they will reduce in size once cooked due to their water content. Place on a lightly greased tray and cook until golden and flip to cook the other side. Remove, pat dry with kitchen towel and sprinkle with the garlic and oregano. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Mix the cream cheese and ricotta in a bowl and season with the salt and pepper.
- In a glass baking dish layer the courgettes, then the cheese, then the tomato sauce.
- Repeat the layers until the dish is full. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top.Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 – 40 minutes. Take the foil off for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Eat and enjoy!