I have been playing with turnips as a substitute to potato for our change to a low carb but tasty lifestyle. So I thought I would try it in moussaka and it worked perfectly. This is my favourite moussaka recipe so far….
2 large aubergines (eggplant)
1 large courgette
4 tbspn olive oil
1 portion of tomato sauce
2 eggs, beaten
300ml Greek Yoghurt
75g Cheddar cheese
1 tspn dried oregano
pinch of grated nutmeg
- Remove top of the auberines and then slice lengthways. Put into a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes. Wahs and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Peel and thinly slice the turnips.
- Remove the top of the courgette and slice into rounds.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the aubergine slices until golden. Set aside and repeat for the turnip slices and courgette slices. Season the turnip slices with the garlic powder.
- Place a layer of the turnips on a bottom of a glass baking dish. The next layer is the aubergine, then the courgette. Sprinkle with half of the oregano. Cover with a layer of the tomato sauce. Repeat the layers again.
- Mix the eggs, yoghurt and cheese together. Season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Pour the yoghurt mixture over the vegetable layers.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour until the top is golden.
- Eat and enjoy!