Gluten Free/ Low Carb/ Side Dishes

Cauliflower Croquettes

Cauliflower.  Farewell potato and welcome cauliflower…come in and make yourself comfortable.  Who knew what a tasty and versatile vegetable it is.   Low in carbs and fabulous with cheese.

I can eat these just as a snack and dip them in home made mayonnaise….divalicious!   You could add chopped spring onions or perhaps chives to this too.  I have also made them with cheese in the middle which was yummy but they did not hold their shape as well.  Time to experiment with cheeses…

1 Cauliflower

1 cup parmesan cheese, grated.

2 tspn garlic powder.

Salt and pepper

1. Cut the cauliflower into florets, place in a saucepan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes until soft.
  2. Drain the water and cool.   Squeeze the florets in your hand to get rid of excess water.
  3. Mash the cauliflower either by hand or blender.   Add seasoning.
  4. Make into croquettes shapes by hand.
  5. Put the Parmesan cheese on a plate and roll the croquettes in the cheese.
  6. Place the croquettes onto parchment/greaseproof paper and put into the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up.
  7. Heat the oven to 190c/375F degrees.   Place the croquettes in the oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes, turning them to get an even golden colour.
  8. Eat and enjoy!

Carol
    June 8, 2016 at 8:45 am

Please can you tell me how many carbs in a portion of cauliflower croquettes
    Thanks in advance

Angela Coleby
      June 8, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Hi Carol, based on a serving of 12 croquettes in a batch, the carbs for a croquette are 3 carbs total, 2g net. Enjoy!

Liberty River
    February 19, 2015 at 3:34 am

Why not roast the cauliflower florets to keep them from absorbing water? 15 min at 375 degrees, stir,cook another 10 minuets.

Kelly
    November 6, 2013 at 3:53 am

I tried very hard to squeeze out all the water but it turned out to be tedious. I used a half roll of paper towels to try to get out all the water. I ended up putting in extra garlic because I love garlic. I rolled it in parmesan and shredded asiago and Romano. I baked them on convection at 375. I got the outside hard but inside was still a little mushy. I think next time I’ll just use frozen cauliflower and squeeze out the water even more. And I want to pan fry first. The flavor was there it’s just difficult and time consuming to squeeze out the water.

November 10, 2013 at 11:14 am

Better luck for next time Kelly.

libby anderson
    June 25, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Followed the recipe exactly but my croquettes didn’t look anything like yours. Found the cauli didn’t stay in shape but I will try again and maybe fiddle with the recipe a bit to make more of an interesting flavour.

June 26, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Aha…you probably need to squeeze all of the moisture out of the cauliflower. It does contain a lot of water. Try again, squeeze it hard and add more cheese! Hopefully this will work the second time round! Glad you are trying the recipes though!

Sondy
      October 13, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Did you have any luck the second time? I’m going to try these and if they fall apart I’ll try adding an egg to bind them. Also, I think I’ll steam the cauliflower to help keep it dry. 🙂

October 13, 2013 at 4:30 pm

The key is getting the moisture of the cauliflower so the ingredients can bind. Try blotting it with some kitchen towel too. Hopes it works the next time around as they are delicious.